Mobile recap 2013
We prepared for you a small recap of what happened in 2013 in the mobile world. If there’s something missing on the list we’ll be glad if you write us to our email and we’ll add it to the list.
What happened in 2013?
- Twitter launched their video-app Vine in January 24 which very fast became very popular and has more than 40 million users.
- Microsoft bought the main mobile-phone division from the Finland company Nokia. According the information from both companies 5,44 billion euros were paid.
- Apple came with the new iOS 7 which completely changed the whole system interface, icons and applications.
- Mobile messaging apps are in 2013 a huge phenomenon and grow massively; according to Analysts at Ovum last month estimated that the number of messages sent on these types of apps will grow from 27.5 trillion this year to 71.5 trillion by the end of 2014. In this market there are mixed already many players and the main ones are Snapchat, Viber, Whatsapp, KIK, Facebook messages, Tango, Line and others.
- Mobile application Snapchat which was established in September 2011 founded by Evan Spiegel and Robert Murphy refused two offers to sell the company to Facebook and Google, their current valuation is 4 billion USD.
- Instagram reported new features this year such as video sharing and the most recent Instagram Direct (sending pictures/videos to selected users) and announced 150mil. users!
- The game Clash of Clans skyrocketed and is identified as one of the most successful mobile games ever (at least in terms of revenue). Clash of Clans and Hay Day were reportedly generating $2.4 million per day for the company in the first half of 2013. Clash of Clans has been a top 5 download since December, 2012. The success of the game was described as being part of the ushering in of a new era in conjoint gaming.
- Android is getting closer to 1 billion devices. Nowadays android has around 900mil. devices since its introduction in 2008. In addition every day are activated 1.5 million new devices. 270 million users of Android are coming from China. Those are some huge numbers considering that Google I/O 2012 gave us a milestone of 400 million total activations. At this rate we’ll see that magical 1 billion number soon enough.
Do you know that?…
- Of the world’s 4 billion mobile phones in use, 1.1 billion are smartphones.
- 91% of adults have their mobile phones within arm’s reach 24/7
- There are 5X as many CELLPHONES in the world as there are PCs.
- 80 % of mobile time is spent in apps
- On average Americans spend 2.7 hours per day socializing on their mobile device
- The average consumer actively uses 6.5 apps throughout a 30-day period
- 60 % of Twitter users access Twitter through mobile
- Women aged 35 to 54 are the most active group in mobile socialization
Recap of year 2013 in CLEEVIO:
It was a very interesting year even here at Cleevio. Given how much we believe in mobile, we’ve been completely reoriented from internet agency to mobile agency/developer and focus purely on mobile phones. You can read more about us here.
The main things that I would like to mention that we’ve done in during the year and I think we’ve managed very well are:
- Mobile application for Taxi Speedcars iOS / Android / WP
- Launching our first own application Spendee iOS / Android
- Launching the application Youradio iOS / Android
- Launching our second own application Taasky
- Launching our first lifestyle application Snippit
- Many other applications we prepared for our clients and partners
I think that the year 2013 was an incredible year that will never repeat, that mobile phones are and will continue to be one important player and is just a matter of time when they will be more important than a desktop PC or a laptop.
In CLEEVIO we believe in mobile and we look forward for the year 2014 and thank all our partners and clients for your cooperation and we’ll be happy if you come back to us on this next year. And if you are not yet one of our partners or clients and you would like help with your mobile applications do not doubt to contact us at email@example.com